Key facts regarding the Totley Tunnel Project
- Totley Tunnel was completed in 1893 after five years of construction – it was the second longest tunnel in the UK only shorter than the Severn Tunnel.
- Crossway Rail Division was recently contacted to design and build a beamed support structure above one of the air shafts which is approximately 200 metres deep cutting through the Derbyshire moors.
- The scaffold structure was designed to carry a vertical mobile work platform which runs on four cables where winches lower and lift it in the shaft.
- Crossway built a platform over the top of the shaft to enable the work platform to be built in situ.
- The scaffold platform was removed once the work platform was held in place by our temporary structure then reinstated to dismantle the work platform once work is completed.